This website uses cookies. Please click "Accept and Close" to accept the use of cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website you consent to the use of cookies on this website.

For more information on how we use cookies please visit our Cookies , or visit our Privacy Policy for more information on how we manage and use data.

Please select your region

We think that the USA site would be more suited to deal with your needs. Otherwise please select a more appropriate region below.


What are you looking for?

Are Dark Kitchens Actually Dark? 

01st November '21

Are Dark Kitchens Actually Dark?  

Five Branding Pillars That Will Make Or Break Your Business 

We all know the value of the first impression. But to what metric exactly? Let’s talk seconds. Seven seconds to be precise – that’s all the time your brand is given to make that all important first impression.  

We’re taught not to judge a book by the cover, but this directly contradicts the very basis of human nature – we are hard-wired to subconsciously process snap judgments on all external stimuli presented to us in life – why should marketing disregard this very basic principle?  

Visualise Potential   

Visual branding transcends the superficial realm of aesthetic appeal and embeds itself in the art of identity creation – effectively converting your brand personality from two-dimensional into three-dimensional.   

As stated above, the primary purpose is to convey brand personality and individuality against the backdrop of capitalist business culture which dictates the inevitable existence of competition. The key to assessing your success in this particular area is in your ability to emotionally resonate with the consumer. The secondary purpose is to educate your potential audience, with the final piece of the puzzle being your thematic adherence – tying the sum of your marketing activity together in a neat little bow.  

It’s What’s On The Outside That Counts  

It’s time we flipped the cliché.   

There is currently a line of thinking in the industry that externally branding your Ghost Kitchen is redundant at best and oxymoronic at worst, due almost solely to the reasoning that by its very nature, will not be seen by the vast majority of potential customers in situ.  

On the contrary, I believe to ignore, or place sedentary value in the external branding of your Ghost Kitchen business is a major misstep in the pursuit of a cohesive marketing brand story – a recognisable theme – for the consumer to absorb and mentally codify your business.   

Whatever position you happen to currently find yourself supporting, hear me out and let’s see if I can change your mind.   

Logo Loco  

What’s in a logo? Branding on a purely typographical level communicates with the consumer in an intrinsic, connotative language – both appealing and relating to them on a varying degree, on a spectrum.   

You see the Colonel, you think chicken – fried in the name of a particular southern American state. You see the golden arches, and quite frankly, you’re lovin’ it!   

Effective branding will see your name and logo in a marriage of sorts, and as with any marriage, it either ‘works’ or it doesn’t. When working in harmony, complimenting each other visually and thematically you’ve got yourself a recipe for success – Conversely, the minute your ‘couple’ express mixed messaging and fail to communicate in unison - indifference will form and fester – indifference being the ultimate nemesis to branding goals.   

Take Delivery Kitchens, for instance, our unique brand signifier is our colour-coded location tear-drop – a symbol ubiquitous in today’s technological age where mobile app functionality is in-built to all smart phones, but most notably a symbol most associated with food delivery apps.  

The location signifier is also key in communicating our ability to deliver our units anywhere, on a global scale. This, in conjunction with our graphical ‘delivery lines’ representing the speed in which we can provide said units to site and up to an operational standard and the typographical font choice for our brand name, and distinctive colour palette choice is a very deliberate ‘marriage’ of complimentary, strategic messaging.  

Picture Perfect  

Depending on what source you read a picture is said to be worth anywhere between 1,000 to 10,000 words. Needless to say, the specific word count is a tertiary consideration at best – the real message being that a picture can tell a story where words simply fail.   

Photographs in particular are an invaluable branding and marketing resource, that when deployed in alignment with your agreed upon messaging and persona, can provide that aesthetic-language codification with your desired audience – creating an established ‘look and feel’ to your messaging that is unique to you and your customer-base.  

Another important facet to consider is how the public have evolved other time to being predominantly visual learners – with up to 85% of people claiming to be a visual learner.  

Evoke, educate, and tell your brand story.  


We are currently very much in the midst of the social media revolution, in which infinite derivations of audiences are consuming content, creating content, and communicating with their favourite brands. To not have a social presence is start-up Harakiri, to use it effectively is another thing entirely.  

Ghost Kitchen brands in particular are best positioned to be a personality centred, visually driven, ‘fun’ engagement-focussed presence on social media. Image media needs to be at the forefront of your communication strategy, taking into consideration that content presented with images get 94% more engagement and up to 40% more shares, and social video generating 1200% more shares than text and image content combined.  

The key takeaway here, pun intended, is to invest intelligently into digital marketing as a direct ‘consumer recruitment’ tool. Once established, the avenues only widen – with special mention to a currently successful phenomenon that is social media influencer marketing to drive brand awareness across all platforms.  

The New Front Of House  

What is the purpose of a traditional front-of-house? You could say primarily it is to be a welcoming experience for your customer, assist in establishing your brand story with the décor and vibe, not to mention the product offering being clearly available.   

In today’s digital age, your website, and application persona are both the modern evolution of the traditional storefront. This is why functionality and aesthetic appeal to your consumer need to be prioritised when establishing and curating both your web and app presence.   

Utilise images, video and a bold yet consistent colour palette that is still relevant to the visual story of your brand. You want food-porn and audience specific content to truly flourish in this arena.  

Prioritise The Package  

For any start-up, branded packaging can conceivably be an afterthought when it comes to the budgeting process – due largely to the two-dimensional thought process that equates your product packaging to ‘rubbish’. The biggest issue with this line of thinking is in the oversight of the journey your packaging will take before it finds itself on the inside of a bin-bag – both physically and mentally.  

With 40% of online shoppers claiming that branded packaging increases the chance they will recommend the business to a friend, coupled with 60% stating packaging changes customer perception of the brand – the importance of marketing through packaging is clearly an avenue that would be foolish not to explore.  

Think laterally – ‘package marketing’ should extend far beyond the paper bag that the Deliveroo driver hands-off to your customer. Consider the inclusion of a fancily branded menu/flyer as well as anything personalised or handwritten as an addition to your ‘package marketing’ strategy. You have a unique opportunity here that traditional restaurants simply do not; you are able to infiltrate the home of your consumer, which, with good enough service and aesthetic, could graduate your media to being magnetised to their fridge.   

Be sure to include clear calls to action throughout your packaging strategy – ‘snap and share your dish to get featured on our Insta!’ – the value of this form of promotion cannot be understated. It’s one thing to commission a photographer to shoot some pictures of your dishes in a mock-up of a delivery – it’s another thing entirely when your customers are doing this for you, effectively advertising your business to networks far beyond your initial reach.   

That’s A Wrap!  

Wendy’s recent announcement of a proposed 700 US, Canada, and significantly, UK Ghost Kitchens to be opened and operational is a clear statement of intent from the takeaway giants that the delivery-only concept is more than just a COVID-driven blip.   

What’s more, although admittedly already a sizable and well-established business, the focus on external marketing was not taken for granted during the design phase of the unit construction - a striking, visual-branding masterpiece was achieved.  

Whether you’re a start-up enterprise looking to establish yourself in an ever-burgeoning market or you’re an already recognised bricks-and-mortar operation looking to be part of the delivery-only revolution – always remember to pap it, app it and wrap it!  


Let's Talk

If you have a query about our products or services, please get in touch ...


+44 (0)28 9260 4619

Rental Enquiries


+44 (0) 1283 820717

Sales Enquiries